Friday, December 23, 2005

Really!?! That happens?!?

Evidentially it does and it happens often. What am I speaking of you ask? Recipes. More importantly, people that won't give up their recipes when asked. I had no idea that such a creature roamed the plant. When people like a dish I make and they ask me for the recipe, I gladly give up the goods. To me, it's a huge compliment.

There is a scrapbook website that I frequent. It's called www.twopeasinabucket.com and there is a message board where we talk about anything and everything not scrapbook related. A topic the other day was people who don't give up recipes. A woman was hurt because her neighbor wouldn't give up her fudge recipe for the church newsletter. She told her flat out NO. Others jumped on the bandwagon and chimed in with why they won't share. I was shocked, I was horrified at some of the snotty responses.

Of course in true big mouth fashion I chimed in with, "Listen ladies, the Russians aren't asking for your recipes so they can screw you in the next Pillsbury Bake Off. It's a RECIPE for pete's sake!" evidentially, I'm much funnier when I blog. Alone.

Anyway, so ask me for a recipe and I'll hand it over. My peanut brittle recipe, well, that you'll have to pry from my cold dead hands or either pay me for it. Your choice.

And with this season of sharing I'm going to share with you my version of:

Mock Toffee

2 sticks butter (1 cup)
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 cup finely chopped pecans
1 teaspoon vanilla
40 saltine crackers
12 oz. bag of milk chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line, with foil, a jelly roll pan. Cover the bottom with saltines. Bring to a boil butter, vanilla and sugar. Cook for 3 minutes. Pour mixture over crackers and coat thoroughly. Put pan in oven and bake for 7 minutes till bubbly. Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over crackers and let melt. Spread with spatula to cover crackers. Sprinkle with nuts. Let cool and break into pieces. Keep in air tight container.

My girlfriend Yvette made this last year and it was so good. She made me a batch this year as well and it was gone within days. I snarled at Roman when he tried to take a piece from me. Good stuff. Share worthy.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the toffee recipe. Now, how do I get the peanut brittle recipe?

Love your blog.

seymour

5:47 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Ancient Chinese secret, oh Seymour-san. For you, I might give it up.

6:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please do.
Seymour-san.

5:02 PM  
Blogger Brighton said...

Drooling over here...

7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home