Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Talent

Hi, it's me the crap-ass poster. Yeah, I'm back for another installment. Things, they be a-changin', just workin' into a groove is all, hang with me folks. I'll be back posting regularly soon.

Lets discuss talent. Some of us have it, some of us, well, don't. I truly believe we've all been given certain God-given talents. He bestowed them upon us at birth. Some of them come naturally, some have to be nutured.

My talents? They are few. I have the gift of gab. I'll talk to a tree if it'll talk back. I figure this was something I learned to nurture. People laugh when I tell them I was a painfully shy child and adolescent. I mean, cling to my mother's leg, shy. Most are stunned because I'm usually the first person to introduce herself at a get together or talk with ease to a stranger while waiting in line. I'm not sure when I grew out of my shyness, but I thank God I did. Now, I can't imagine being a wall flower.

I fancy myself a pretty good scrapbooker too. I'm not published but that's from a lack of submitting. I see women agonize over their pages at crops and through online message boards. Scrapbooking is the one thing that I a.) don't take too seriously b.) micro-manage and c.) obsess on perfection. I get my pictures, find some cardstock and paper and boom, bam, bang, I put it down and move on to the next page. Don't get me wrong, I do like my pages to have the right design elements, but I seem to come by those easily. Picking pattern papers to match pictures comes easily as does the placement of my photos. Everything just gels for me, I guess I've been blessed with a decent eye for design.

I have a talent for knowing totally useless facts, like, Jeopardy winning useless. My friends know (and have accepted) that I know totally useless bullshit. Actually, I think they are quite amused by my freakish knowledge of dates, times and the history of glue. My coworkers are getting to see that side of me too. Recently, we were talking about milk and someone said something about black and white milk cows. I said those are Holsteins. The conversation stopped and all eyes are were on me. I went on to tell them Holsteins are but only one breed of milk cow. There were others like, Brown Swiss, Guernsey, Jersey, Ayrshire, Shorthorn and Dexter. *Insert stunned silence* I guess I didn't look like a chick that would know such things. How I came by this knowledge, I'm not sure. I guess I'm just a perpetual learner. I read a lot and I watch a lot of documentaries. Could be my husband's in the cattle business but not the milk cow biz. Who knows, but I know the breeds of milk cows and I felt the need to bestow my co-workers with my knowledge. They now know I'm a freak too and I'm ok with that.

Where am I going with all of this? As you can tell I'm not a natural writer. I have to force myself to blog. It's not a particular task I enjoy. I do it 1.) because I know I have friends that read and want to stay updated and 2.) because practice makes perfect, right? There are a lot of blogs out there some good and some bad. I read the funny ones mostly, but I do have one, in particular, that is truly an outstanding work of writing. Without fail

http://www.texas-music.blogspot.com/

never fails to disappoint with his writing abilities. The man, in one word is, PHENOMENAL. If you think I kid, go read his post about Solitary.

Jack is the one that introduced me to blogging and for that I will always be grateful. I've meet some wonderful people who are bloggers and some have become good friends of mine and the husband. Jack's latest entry just blew me away. I read a lot. I've read good books and I've read really bad books and some that left me wondering if they only got published because they were fucking their editor. Jack, to date is unpublished and it's a shame. The man has a true gift for words and stringing the perfect ones together to create such a clear picture, it's eery. I love a book that can transport me into the moment, the scene, right then and there and he does that with what seems like total ease. Jack is a humble kinda guy and doesn't like to brag but I think he knows he has some sort of talent, whether it be natural or nurtured but far be it from him to toot his own horn, so I'll do it for him. If you don't read Texas Music, please book mark it and check often to read some of what I think is the best writing out there.

Now, Jack, would you please start writing your book. I promise I won't make a scene at the Border's book signing when you get published and I won't even name drop that I "knew you back when". Deal?

8 Comments:

Blogger Brighton said...

Oh who are you kidding?? We will both make such a scene!

3:10 PM  
Blogger Jammie J. said...

If he writes his book, I promise to be Jack's stalker, too. Trashman can share.

3:21 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

B-Ok only a small scene, he's really, really shy. One bra thrown at him apiece, that's it!

J-Get in line girl, he's mine first! ;)

4:39 PM  
Blogger Jana said...

Yay, glad to see you posting again! I'm a useless trivia queen too.....the both of us would make a really kick-ass Trivial Pursuit team, wouldn't we?!!!!

5:23 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Jana-Finally, someone who understands! Yes we would!!

9:04 AM  
Blogger Zelda said...

I thought I was doing good knowing Holsteins, Guernseys and Jerseys.

We used to have a Jersey cow. She was named Moo Moo.

5:34 PM  
Blogger Jack said...

Okay, you made me blush.

12:40 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Zelda-GOOD! I'm not the only freak out there that knows about milk cows.

Jack-I knew you would. Now get back to that old typewriter and get your manifesto written. Ted Kazinski didn't do his in one day so I'm giving you a year, got it? One. Year. Chop, chop, your time starts NOW.

2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home