Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Passing Chalk

Sorry for the delay on the update. Really, I need to get in a better posting groove.

Let's see....the small bowel follow through went off without a hitch, well sort of. My appointment was at 8am so I rolled out of bed, threw on some sweats, brushed the hair and teeth and I was out the door. I got to my appointment. just in time except, I was at the wrong imaging center. Dr. C's office gave me the wrong address. No worries, the receptionist called the other centers and found out where I was suppose to be. Seriously, I felt like a freshman on the first day of high school, lost and looking for my English class.

15 minutes later I'm at the correct place and ready for my test. I was dying of thirst because I had to fast (no food or water after midnight). I usually get up, take my meds with a huge glass of water first thing in the morning. Not yesterday, so when the radiology tech handed me my first glass of barium I chugged it like a frat boy on Friday night. I could have cared less that my white ass was hanging out of my hospital gown, I was thirsty damn it! He was most impressed and handed me a 2nd glass. That one went down quick and I didn't even gag, not once! Again, I impressed the tech. He said he'd have a gold star for me when I left. I told him the long and sordid story of my gut issues and he immediately understood why I did so well downing the barium in record time.

Mr. Tech took some initial slides and then put me in my personal cubby to watch tv while the barium when to work. 20 minutes later he retrieve me and took some more slides. He said things were progressing. Back to my cubby I went to watch more of the Lifetime network. 30 minutes later, back I go for more slides. This time we're ready for the radiologist. He does a quick ultrasound and says I need another cup of barium to get things where they need to be. WTF?!? Honestly, if my foot would have reached I would have kicked him square in the nuts. Twice.

Back to my cubby I went with yet another cup of barium. 30 minutes later I'm back for the final slides. The radiologist had me turn left, right, up, down, kiss your toes and I was done. No comments, no diagnosis, not a peep whether he could see an obstruction or tear. So the waiting game begins again. I should know something on or before the 27th when I go back to see Dr. C.

As for the barium, it has turned into a concrete rock in my stomach and it feels like I'm trying to pass an elephant. Not pretty, not fun and it hurts. I remember the same feeling when I had my upper GI done 3 years ago.

On to more pleasant things. I'm liking Weight Watchers. The program is easy to follow and I like our leader. My first weigh in is tomorrow. I don't feel different, like I've lost this week, but we'll see tomorrow. I have a lot of "points" to eat daily and I'm having a hard time eating them all. I haven't used any of my weekly flex points.

I'm not sure about ya'll but I will mindlessly eat, eat to just have something in my mouth or on my hands or at my computer. Big no no. Now, before I eat I try and determine, am I bored, am I hungry, am I doing this out of habit? I've become more conscious of what I've put in my body this week. I think that is helping.

I'll update ya'll more often, I promise. Be forewarned, I'm going to talk about food a lot. Anyway, thanks to everyone who emailed and called yesterday to see how I was. I appreciate your thoughts and prayers.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kristin - I'm thinking about you and hoping the tests come out with positive results. It sounds as though WW is going well. It is an excellent program. Keep up the good work. I remember reading a quote once that said, "Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels". Think about it. Love you girl!

7:40 PM  
Blogger Jammie J. said...

Oh yuck. That doesn't sound like any fun at all.

I mindlessly chew my cuticles. Maybe that's why I haven't had any weight problems. You know, self eating? You lose as much as you gain?

8:17 PM  
Blogger Jammie J. said...

Har har harrr. I'm laughing at my own joke. That's kind of sad, isn't it?

8:18 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

C-more-Love you too!

Jeanette-Cannibalism.......hmmm....

9:41 AM  
Blogger Brighton said...

Sorry I missed out on all the barium fun. I knew you would like Weight Watchers- it's very user friendly.

10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home