Wednesday, February 22, 2006

This And That Thursday



Here's a planner I made for myself prior to knowing I was getting PDA for Christmas. Now I have no need for it. If anyone would like to give it a good home let me know and it's yours. I'll take my name off of it and put yours on.

WW Update: I lost a total of 6.4 pounds this week. I don't feel 6.4 pounds lighter but I'll take it.

Last week I was sitting in my office, on my computer as usual, and I saw a bunch of kids outside riding their bikes. I saw one kid fall off and I thought to myself, "Ouch! Get up buddy, shake it off, you're fine." I looked back down and started typing again and then I heard a sound that made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. It was a child wailing, not crying, but wailing.

I didn't look up to see what was going on. I immediately jumped up and ran outside to find a boy, about 10, holding his finger, his bloody and bruised finger. He was screaming so loud the other kids he was playing with took off. I asked him to let me see it. It was bad, I saw more flesh than I wanted to, especially of a person I didn't know.

I scooped him up in my arms and ran him to my car, I ran in the house and grabbed my car keys. Before I pulled out of the garage I asked his name. Between sobs I got the name Dakota. I introduced myself, choking back tears and told him I was going to take him home so his parents could help him. I asked him to calm down and tell me where he lived. He nodded in the direction of the street behind ours.

I grabbed his good hand, squeezed it tight and off we went. We pulled up to his house. I helped Dakota out of my car, his little shirt covered in blood. The poor thing was still sobbing, lower lip quivering. I didn't knock on the front door, we walked in and he started to call for his mom. She came running down the stairs to meet a strange woman, holding her son tight and Dakota sobbing uncontrollably.

He tells his mom what happened and I tell her it happened in front of my house. She was grateful that I returned him home. I couldn't let go of him. I was stroking his hair and I kissed his hand and told him it was going to be alright. I had to leave, I did all I could do.

Looking back, even though I have no children, my mommy instincts kicked in. I wanted to make his pain go away and I wanted to hold him tight and tell him it would be ok. I guess I wouldn't have made a bad mom after all.

6 Comments:

Blogger Brighton said...

I have tears in my eyes just reading that, and yes, you would absolutly make the BEST mom EVER.

10:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you already know I think you're the coolest thing since sliced bread, but little shows of affection and mommy-ness like this make me love you even more!

3:01 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

B-Ever? I don't know about that, but I'll take stupendous.

April-I had a moment of weakness, what can I say?

3:40 PM  
Blogger Jammie J. said...

Awww, that poor baby. I'm glad you were there to help him. Can you imagine if you weren't?

11:15 PM  
Blogger Traci Dolan said...

I totally had tears in my eyes. You are a great Mommy. Stan and Millie know it, now one child in the world does to!

8:22 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Jeanette-His friends scattered. No I can't.

Inanna-There's a difference is being a good parent and a spoiled dog mama. ;)

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home