Wednesday, May 17, 2006

National Law Enforcement Week

National Law Enforcement Memorial Week is this week. Having worked closely with sheriff's offices, city police departments and federal agencies for a large part of my career I've gotten to be good friends with those in law enforcement. The ones I'm friends with on a professional level exhibit nothing but professionalism and their dedication to their careers continually wows me. We have a few officers that are part of our close circle of friends and one in the family, so guess I just feel a special kinship with them which makes this week sorta special for me. The work they do is thankless and low paying and yet they get up and go to work, putting their lives on the line so we can sleep well at night. Let us not forget those who paid the ultimate price for a job they loved to do. Below is a poem that is on the California State Memorial in Sacramento. Thank an officer this week for all they do, shake his or her hand and say a hearty "thank you", heck pay for their dinner if you see them eating out. They deserve it.

I never dreamed it would be me
My name for all eternity
Recorded here at this hallowed place
Alas, my name, no more my face

"In the line of duty" I hear them say
My family now the price will pay
My folded flag stained with their tears
We only had those few short years

The badge no longer on my chest
I sleep now in eternal rest
My sword I pass to those behind
And pray they keep this thought in mind

I never dreamed it would be me
And with heavy heart and bended knee
I ask for all here from the past
Dear God, let my name be the last

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you for sharing. sending you a link of the memorial honoring my uncle and other fallen Houston Officers this week.

9:17 AM  
Blogger Brighton said...

Thank you to all police and law enforcement everywhere- except for the city of Webster. They gave me a ticket and they can suck it.
; )

12:33 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

April-I got it. Thanks and my condolences on Uncle Wayne.

B-*giggle, snort* How fast were ya goin'?

3:01 PM  
Blogger Traci Dolan said...

Thanks for the reminder. One of my college buds was shot down in the line of duty.

7:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can some of your police officers do a demonstration for the ones in my town? Some of them really could use the lesson!

8:21 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Inanna-So very sorry to hear that.

RA-It'll cost ya! ;)

8:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want such sites to become as much as possible, and their number increased with every day!
- spelledwithani.blogspot.com e
07 car civic honda
buy used car
car undefined used
used car bergen
used car oakland
used car greensboro
used car raleigh
used car killeen
used car vallejo
used car tacoma

8:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home