Thursday, June 01, 2006

History Nerd

I'm a history nerd. There, I admit it. It's out there for everyone to see and read. You'll find me with my nose stuck in the biography section of the library, engrossed in whatever figure I'm fixated on this week. I just finished a book on Mary Queen of Scots. If I do read fiction it's usually heavily historical. I'm reading a series about the Amish now. Very interesting stuff. To add to the geek factor, I know the hows and whys of why WD-40 was created and I know Elsie the cow had a brother, Elmer, of white glue fame. How do I know this? Because, I'm a history nerd, pay attention!

I watch very little tv but when I do watch, it's usually something on PBS, the History Channel, National Geographic or Discovery Channel. I'm hoping one day I'll be on Jeopardy and my nerdiness will pay off, because quite honestly, I suck at Wheel Of Fortune. Last night I was taking it easy and was flipping channels and I came upon a series on C-Span. Ok, before you moan any louder, hear me out. It's a 9 hour series all about the Capitol Building. http://www.the-capitol.org The first 3 hours were last night, the next 3 are tonight and the last 3 are tomorrow. It's totally fascinating! It's broken down into 3 one hour segments and in between segments callers can call in with questions and capitol or national archivists or historians answer some of the best and most intriguing questions. One of the Capitol Historians has written a book and I totally intent to read it. See, my nerdiness just inched up a few notches. I can't help myself, blame my mother, she's a history nerd too. Who knew there was a history nerd gene? So if you like history, I'm recommending this series. Heck, you might even learn something, it'll be our little secret, one nerd to another.

11 Comments:

Blogger Jammie J. said...

Nerd! Nerd! HA!! I can call you that because you called yourself that! Nerd! :P

10:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you! I'm going to record it. I'm sorry I missed Part One! Thanks for the tip. Love you!

5:05 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

J-I'm embracing my inner nerd. Care to join me?

Cmore-Love you MORE! Have a great trip to Dallas!

3:25 PM  
Blogger Jammie J. said...

I don't do that kind of thing in public. ;)

11:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that actually sounds like a cool nerd-show! ;)

7:00 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

J-Oh but I DO!!

April-I hear they are replaying it in July some time, maybe the 5th?

10:35 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Please share the name of the Amish series! I'm intrigued.

9:52 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Welcome Amy! It's a 5 part series by Beverly Lewis called Abram's Daughters. Here's the Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0764280716/qid=1149510408/sr=1-6/ref=sr_1_6/104-9552658-7205519?s=books&v=glance&n=283155
Enjoy!

5:35 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Andie-Good! I'm glad I'm not alone!

11:16 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

"Hi, I'm Kristin and I'm a history nerd."

All in unison... "Hi Kristin."

:D

Does it count to aspire to be a history nerd??

4:26 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Sam-Absolutely! I'll need to come to your house and make sure you have the proper sites bookmarked on your computer, it's standard procedure, really.

2:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home